Sunday, September 11, 2011

more illustrated recipes for kids (#3)


This is my third and last submission to TDAC's Cooking 4 Kids contest. The color is more somber than my other illustrated recipes, but the fact is, I feel very passionate about lotus root. The flavor, texture, and versatility of this vegetable is enough to make it a star in my cookbook, but it's the shape that really enchants me. The cool shape adds fun and excitement to any dish you use it in. And-- assuming you have a choice-- fun food beats boring food every time.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, this is great! With my obsession with the shapes found in fruits and vegetables, I'm going to have to try to make these.I've always been kind of intimidated by lotus root, but you've made it seem doable...and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love lotus root! In fact I was missing it recently, but apparently our Asian markets here in Southern California (San Diego) only carry them in the wintertime. I will have to try slicing them this way. I was taught to cut them in sticks (bigger than matchstick, smaller than french fry size) but not to crisp them, just saute with garlic and a pinch of salt.

    ReplyDelete